Press release Support for businesses and self-employed people during coronavirus The Sustainable Innovation Fund will...
Now in its third year, CreativeXR will focus on helping teams creatively innovate with the format, develop project impact and build new business models through bespoke mentorship and support from leading experts in the industry. Teams will also showcase and pitch their projects to industry stakeholders at the third annual CreativeXR Showcase and Market in October 2020.
To increase confidence in undertaking boundary-pushing R&D, CreativeXR will also engage with technical experts to help develop experimental prototype builds and support the teams throughout their three-month build journey.
This year CreativeXR welcomes two new supporters to the programme:
- Epic Games – CreativeXR has received an Epic MegaGrant, which will be used to finance prototype development of five Unreal Engine projects. Additionally, select projects will benefit from direct support from Epic Games as part of the programme.
- StoryFutures Academy – They will bring narrative storytelling expertise, and mentor up to four companies in the areas of story development, design and continuing narrative.
What projects will CreativeXR 2020 support?
The programme supports multi-skilled teams in the development of creative, consumer-facing content experiences enabled by immersive technologies (virtual reality, augmented reality and mixed reality), which may include:
- Artistic pieces
- Cultural experiences (including those inspired by museum, gallery, library or heritage experiences)
- New forms of storytelling (fiction or non-fiction)
- New forms of interactive entertainment
Additionally, this year CreativeXR and its partners are looking to support projects from the following strands:
- Unreal Engine experiences
- Storytelling development experiences
- Immersive experiences with an element of artificial intelligence (AI)
- Immersive experiences with 5G
Participating teams will benefit from:
- Prototype funding – Up to £20k to develop an immersive proof-of-concept prototype and supporting material
- Facilities – For the duration of the programme, the opportunity to make use of Digital Catapult Immersive Labs in Belfast, Brighton, London, MediaCityUK, and North East Tees Valley (subject to availability and site terms)
- Peer to peer learning – Be part of a cohort of up to 20 teams made up of talented creators from across the creative and technology sector
- Business expertise – Support network of industry experts, high calibre peers and commissioning bodies to help develop impactful experiences and build new business models
- Pitch and writing workshops – Focused workshops to help develop the prototype concept and pitch
- Mentorship from Epic Games – Up to five teams will receive direct support from Epic Games on building prototypes in Unreal Engine
- Mentorship from StoryFutures Academy – Up to four teams with narrative-led projects will receive bespoke mentorship on developing script and narrative
- Technical monitoring – Engineering expertise to increase confidence in the prototype build and push the boundaries of the technology. This monitoring also includes inputs from AI and 5G technologists
- Showcase and Market event – Opportunity to participate, pitch and host private demos and meetings with commissioners at the event
- Development funding – Teams accepted onto the programme will be eligible to compete for further funding at the end of the prototype period. This funding will be limited and subject to a separate judging process and match funding conditions – full details will be provided at a later stage.
Who should apply?
CreativeXR is open to small businesses, creative innovators, and arts & culture organisations capable of producing immersive content.