Education Beyond Teaching
22nd Jun 2022, 9am
The University of Suffolk is all about transformation – transforming individuals, our community, our region and beyond. We have absorbed the best traditions in higher education and aligned them with the modern world of employment and entrepreneurship. We are a distinctive, thriving academic community making a clear and immediate impact. Our purpose is to change lives – of individuals and communities, for the better.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Students from schools and colleges across Suffolk are invited to join us on this interactive and engaging day to find out about the wide range of careers that are available at a university, that aren’t just about teaching! From working in the virtual radiotherapy suites, to improving your local community through research this day will explore the wide range of opportunities available.
ROUTE 1 – Health and Wellbeing: 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Learning to deliver radiotherapy in a virtual world – a patient case demonstrating the role of VR in therapeutic radiography training (30 mins)
- An introduction to Basic Life support – demonstrating and teaching basic life support with our paramedics (30 mins)
- A demonstration of our simulation person (30 mins)
- Careers in Sport Performance and Exercise for Health – tour of facilities, and practical demonstration (30 mins)
- Imaging Suite Showcase – a tour of the new imaging suite demonstrating equipment and images (30 mins)
Note: There are a maximum of 125 spaces on this route.
ROUTE 2 – Productivity, research, and sustainability: 10:00am – 2:00pm
- The role of a technician supporting technology – 3D Productivity Suite demonstration and VR activity – try out the equipment and hear from a technician
- Making a difference to your local community while working at a university – find out about how a career in research or knowledge exchange can help you create improvements to your local surroundings
- The role of sustainability at universities – learn why sustainability is so high on the agenda at universities and the type of career opportunities this provides
- In addition to work in higher education, the further education sector also provides a wide range of job opportunities. Find out more in this session
Note: There are a maximum of 80 spaces on this route.
SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES
Students are invited to register for one of two routes. Route 1 – health and wellbeing or route 2 – Productivity, research, and sustainability.
For route 1, students must be in year 10 or above.
On each route students will rotate through a carousel of sessions throughout the day of approximately 30 minutes each. There will be time for lunch and breaks.
In addition to the catering outlets available on the Waterfront campus, there will be a range of street food vendors selling their delicious food on the grounds outside Suffolk New College for you to experience.
Organiser: University of Suffolk